WHY? Why does it seem so difficult to decorate/design a master bedroom? It’s typically the last room we tackle, since the only people that see it are US. But wait. Shouldn’t that make it the MOST important room? I mean, we’re the ones that live here after all?
When we moved in after the renovation, we couldn’t WAIT to get here. To actually LIVE here on the farm. But if you want to know the truth, move-in day was NOT what I had dreamed. The rooms here were so much different than our former home (a new construction/open floor plan/up-with-the-times place). Ugh. I’m ashamed to say that I was so hung-up on the fact that our new place had impossibly narrow & hard-to-situate rooms, I forgot to be thankful for a little bit.
The master bedroom was easier to decorate, as during the reno we reconfigured the space, and it actually felt like new construction. We threw our current furniture in there and called it good. There was nothing wrong with any of it. But after living here for over a year, we were READY for a change….something that felt more like US, and life here on Prairie Hill Farm.
Before we go any further, let’s remember how that master looked on the day we bought it.
Problem areas: LOW ceilings (under 8′), a very small bathroom (in the top left corner), and don’t get me started on the smell. The space was reconfigured during reno, the ceiling was opened up into the attic for a nice vaulted look, and everything was fresh & new, which took care of the smell. 🙂
Here’s how the room has looked for the last year:
Nothing WRONG with it, but it didn’t feel RIGHT for our new life here. BUT WHAT WOULD BE RIGHT?
Before I break any of that down, I’m just gonna show you! (Because I can’t keep secrets.)
THIS! This is US!!!
Here’s how I got started on the look:
1. Pinterest is usually a great place to start, but something weird happened. I couldn’t find ANYTHING that felt like us. But that got me excited. It’s fun to blaze a new trail for yourself. (Why wasn’t anyone else doing a ranchy-colonial-farmy-casual-cozy-boho bedroom? ha ha) I decided to start with the bed. Our old bed was beautiful, comfy & nice quality. Wait a second. WAS I CRAZY? Well of course. That’s how I knew I was on to something. 😉
I fell in love with this bed when I saw it online. (You can find it here!) Only problem? It was out of stock. I signed up for the notification if it came back in stock, WHICH IT DID! (insert praise hands here.) Oh it was EVERYTHING to the new feel. Light & airy, simple, and fit every category. The price was SO GOOD I was actually skeptical!
Ryan put this bed together in no time, and assembly was SO EASY! (it’s a good one if you’re in the market!)
2. Next up? BEDDING. Help me now. Someone get me a snack and a diet coke. Because this is a monumental task. Ok, not really. Once I really dove into the search, it all came together. Here’s a tip. Interview yourself. How do you want your room to feel? What colors do you like? Are you “team duvet” or “team comforter?” And FOR SURE start your search online. Soooo much easier than driving all over town.
For me, it all started falling into place when I found this quilt. LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT. (You can find the Tallie Geo Print Cotton quilt here.)
Since the quilt had such a bold pattern, I knew it would be best used at the foot of the bed. So that meant we still needed a comforter. When I stumbed on THIS beauty, it was a total love connection!
The subtle stripe, little black stitching, and incredibly soft texture? GET. IN. MY. HOUSE. (find the comforter here! Such a bargain!)
3. Choosing a rug was my next task, and we are so happy with this one (find it here)! A great rug pad is key for helping to keep your rug in place, and also adds more padding to a flat weave rug. The pad we chose is also great for pets, as it will not allow accidents to seep down into the carpet below. (Find it here!)
Here’s Ryan rolling out the new rug pad…impressed with the quality!
4. The supporting players are important! Think nightstands, benches, lamps, etc. Since our new bed is more airy & open (not to mention HIGH, since we chose to use a boxspring), we knew our old nightstands didn’t quite work. They felt too light, open, & low. I am impatient and did NOT want to wait to order something online. We stumbled on the perfect solution in our local Hobby Lobby!
I just LOVE it when that happens!
The lamps needed an update as well (find them here), since the old ones would have been TOO MUCH of that wood tone. The only thing left was a bench for the foot of the bed! We did have one little cutie out in the barn, but it was in rough shape (see below).
Mmmmhmmm. Not exactly dreamy. YET. Ryan power-washed it like crazy, and I gave it a quick sand…Voila! Free bench!
Fun fact: did you know snake plants (see above) clean air better than most other indoor plants? They also absorb excess amount of carbon monoxide and can lead to better sleep. I think we need a few more of these around here!
5. I decided to shop our house for the finishing touches. Recognize the galvanized cow over the bed? (It’s on clearance now! Find it here.) Moving things around the house gives me a whole new appreciation and makes them look brand new.
It feels so good to have this project complete, and to have a cozy retreat at the end of a long day!
What do you think? Is it anything like what you expected? Could your master bedroom use a little spruce-up too?
Pam - That was a really fun your! Xo
yellowprairieint - Thanks Mom! 🙂 Love you!
Lisa - It’s beautiful Janna. I love it! Wish it was mine. 🙂
yellowprairieint - Aww thank you so much Lisa!
Linda Bastedo - I love it! On my wish list, metal bed and wood nightstands! On my way to Hobby Lobby!
yellowprairieint - Yay! They were such a great solution! 🙂
Katie Mcloud - Love it! So country and seems to fit your house and style so well. Your such an inspiration! I have loved watching your farmhouse fixer upper❤️
yellowprairieint - Aww thank you Katie! We are so happy to have this project complete, just in time for the cozy fall/winter months! 🙂
Tina - Hi Janna!!!! What a Great Space!!! So nice and comfy and cozy!! This is tinarice4 on Instagram!!
yellowprairieint - Thank you so much Tina! 🙂
Melissa Geittmann - It’s gorgeous. But I’d expect nothing less! That cute little pillow in the stool. Where’s it from?
yellowprairieint - Thank you Melissa! The little pillow is from Porter Lane Home. 🙂
Marty - What a transformation. It is gorgeous. I love the wainscoting and then your decor is stunning. Beautifully done.
yellowprairieint - Thank you so much! And thanks for stopping by! 🙂
Linda Sitton - What a wonderful post. Your room is beautiful and I loved how you showed the picture first then added the details. LOVE the bed!
yellowprairieint - Thank you so much Linda!
Marianne - I just LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this!! You have such a great way of putting things together.
Is this a queen bed with a king comforter?
yellowprairieint - Thank you Marianne! It’s a king bed with a king comforter. 🙂